Make an fun adjustable crochet ear warmer with this free pattern and tutorial! The Everglade Ear Warmer is warm and cozy, perfect for your hooks in the winter!
I don’t know about you, but I love a good ear warmer crochet pattern. In my opinion, they’re more stylish than beanies 😆but they still keep your ears warm if you make them wide enough!
I’ve designed the Everglade Ear Warmer with that good width for plenty of warmth, along with beautiful texture for style!
How do you make ear warmers?
While there are various ways to make ear warmers, this one is made by making a simple rectangle that will fit around the circumference of your head, and then seaming the two ends together. So simple, right?!
The great thing about making crochet ear warmers this way is how easy it is to adjust to different sizes! This pattern is fully adjustable so you can make the length perfect to fit your head. You can even try it on around your head as you go to make sure it is perfect!
How wide should a crochet ear warmer be?
While we’re on the the topic of adjusting, let’s talk about ear warmer width. Generally, a standard size for crocheted ear warmers is about 3.5 to 4″. However, the size for this specific pattern is closer to 5″ mainly because as I mentioned earlier, I like to have lots of extra coverage for warmth.
Ear Warmer Crochet Pattern Video
If you’re more of a visual learner, watch the video tutorial I’ve made below! It will show you how to crochet this ear warmer step by step. The stitch pattern can be a little tricky in places, so use this to clarify anything confusing!
One of my goals this year is to release new videos every Friday. So make sure you come subscribe to my YouTube channel so you can follow along with this new journey of mine!
Download and Print this Pattern
Would you rather download this pattern as a PDF and print it out (or save it forever on your computer?) You can buy the inexpensive, ad-free PDF on either Etsy or Ravelry!
Adjustable Ear Warmer Crochet Pattern
Ready to see the free version of the Everglade Ear Warmer crochet pattern? Let’s jump right into it! 🙂
- To Pin this pattern to your Pinterest Boards, click HERE
- To buy the inexpensive, ad-free PDF, click HERE
- To add this pattern to your Ravelry queue, click HERE
- Malabrigo Rios yarn, 1 hank in the color Hojas
- Or a small amount of worsted weight yarn
- I/5.5mm crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- Ear Warmer is worked in a long rectangle seamed together.
- Ch 3 at beginning of rows counts as a dc
- Ch 1 at beginning of rows does NOT count as a sc
- The pattern will be shown as a written pattern only. However, if the special stitch is tricky to you, make sure to either 1) watch the video tutorial, or 2) buy the ad-free PDF for photos!
Adjusting the Ear Warmer Size
- To adjust length, just continue repeating the stitch pattern that will be shown in the pattern. Wrap the rectangle around your head before sewing together to make sure it will fit!
- To adjust width, you have a few options. You can add or subtract from the multiple (which is 5+2). However, this will result in more or less of the rows of textured puff stitches. If you want to still have 3 rows of puffs to cinch together, then you can try 1) using a lighter or heavier weight yarn to get a different size, or 2) you can add a few double crochet on either end to make it larger.
Abbreviations/Stitches Used (U.S.)
Chain – ch
Single crochet – sc
Double crochet – dc
Repeat – rep
Round(s) – rnd(s)
Skip – sk
Space(s) – sp(s)
Chain space(s) – ch-sp(s)
Stitch(es) – st(s)
Beginning – beg
Front Post Puff Stitch (fp puff st):
YO, insert hook around post of indicated st. YO, pull up a loop. (YO, insert hook around same st, YO, pull up a loop) 2 times. YO, pull through 6 loops on hook. YO, pull through last 2 loops on hook.
Note: this stitch is basically just a regular puff stitch, except for the hook placement at the beginning is around the post of the stitch.
Fsc 17 (or a multiple of 5+2. Note that adjusting this will change the width of your ear warmer).
Row 1: Ch 1, sc in ea fsc across, turn. (17 sc)
Row 2: Ch 3, dc in ea sc across, turn. (17 dc)
Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first 2 dc. *Sk next dc, fp puff st around next dc. Ch 1, fp puff st around same dc. Sk next dc, sc in next 2 dc. Rep from * across, turn. (6 fp puff sts, 8 sc)
Row 4: Ch 1, sc in first 2 sc. *Sc in next puff st, sc in next ch, sc in next puff st. Sc in next 2 sc. Rep from * across, turn. (17 sc)
Row 5: Ch 1, sc in ea sc across, turn. (17 sc)
Rep rows 2-5 until ear warmer reaches your desired length. Just try it on around your head to see if it’s comfortable! I did a total of 59 rows.
FINISHING: With WS together, sew the two ends of the ear warmer together. I used a slip stitch seam to avoid actual sewing, but you could use a whipstitch seam, or your preferred method!
Fasten off and weave in all ends.
To make the gathered part:
Note: my yarn is shown in a contrasting color so you can see it better. However, the color I actually used was the same!
Step 1: Lay your ear warmer flat, making sure the seam is at the back. Take a short piece of yarn and weave it through 3 sc on the front. I wove through my first sc 3 stitches from the edge.
Step 2: Pull the yarn tight and tie in a knot.
Step 3: Take the 2 ends and thread them through to the back of the work. To secure even more, tie another knot on the backside, then turn right side out.
That’s all there is to making your very own adjustable, stylish ear warmer! I hope you have enjoyed this crochet pattern!
To see all my free patterns, click here.