Christmas is so close! I have a super cute little pattern to share with you if you’re looking for last minute Christmas gifts: a crochet snowman ornament!
Ok, if you need something super quick to work up as a Christmas present, this little guy is perfect! I made him in under an hour…and also, how could anyone resist his cute face?
Easy Crochet Snowman Ornament
It is not hard to crochet a snowman ornament at all! This little guy is made from a few different pieces all sewn together. We’ll mostly use simple stitches like single crochet and double crochet.
How do you crochet a snowman ornament?
Curious how exactly we’ll crochet this snowman? Here are the steps we will take to make him:
- Make a large circle out of half double crochet for the body
- Make a slightly smaller circle in the same way for the head
- Crochet a cute black top hat for the snowman
- Make a scarf out of some fuzzy yarn
- Sew everything together and attach a carrot nose, eyes, and mouth
I will show you exactly how to complete those steps when we get to the actual pattern!
Materials to Crochet a Snowman
Now let’s talk yarn for a bit! For my ornament, I used Lily Sugar and Cream yarn. This is a worsted weight cotton yarn that you can get at a regular craft store like Michaels or Joann! However, you can really use any yarn for this project! I recommend cotton because it will help the ornament hold its shape when you hang it on the tree.
One of my testers worked it up in crochet thread, and her snowmen were the perfect size for earrings!! So I definitely recommend experimenting a bit and seeing what you like best.
Now, as far as the snowman’s scarf, that’s where you can really try whatever you’d like! I used an unnamed novelty yarn that I had stashed away, but you can use anything! Something fluffy would look similar to mine, but some of my testers just used more cotton with an extra row of sc and it still looked super cute (see photo below!)
All right, now let’s get onto this pattern!
Crochet Snowman Ornament – Free Pattern
- To Pin this pattern to your Pinterest boards, click HERE
- To buy the PDF version of this pattern on Etsy, click HERE
- To add this pattern to your Ravelry queue, click HERE
- Lily Sugar & Cream Yarn (small amounts of white, black, and orange)
- Or another worsted weight cotton yarn
- Some kind of novelty/fluffy yarn for the scarf
- H/5mm Crochet Hook
- Yarn needle
- Snowman is worked in 5 different pieces: the body, head, hat, nose, and scarf.
- Ch 2 at beginning of rnds counts as a hdc.
Abbreviations/Stitches Used (U.S.)
Chain – ch
Slip Stitch – sl st
Single crochet – sc
Half Double Crochet – hdc
Repeat – rep
Round(s) – rnd(s)
Skip – sk
Space(s) – sp(s)
Stitch(es) – st(s)
Each – ea
Rnd 1: Ch 2. Work 10 sc into the second ch from hook, sl st to beg sc to join. Note: As you make these sts, work over the piece of starting yarn so you can pull it tight after finishing the round. I prefer to use this method over the magic circle, but you could start it that way as well!
Rnd 2: Ch 2, hdc in same st as sl st. 2 hdc in ea st around. Join with sl st to beg hdc. (20 hdc)
Rnd 3: Ch 2, hdc in same st as sl st, hdc in next st. *2 hdc in next st, hdc in next st. Rep from * around, fasten off. (30 hdc)
Work the same as for the Body but fasten off after rnd 2. Leave a long tail for sewing.
Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook and ea ch across, turn.
Row 2: Ch 1, sl st in first 3 sts. Ch 4 (counts as tr), tr in next 2 sts. Ch 4 (counts as tr), sl st in next st. Sl st in last 2 sts, fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing.
Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook, hdc in next ch. Sl st in same ch as hdc. Fasten off.
Row 1: Ch 45, or work until desired length. Fasten off and weave in ends.
If you don’t have a “fluffy” yarn and are using a regular worsted weight, you may want to work another row of plain sc over this chain!
- Use leftover black yarn to embroider on the eyes and mouth of snowman first.
- Then, stick the 2 ends of the nose through the middle hole of the snowman’s head. Tie the 2 ends in a big knot on the opposite side and then weave in ends.
- Sew head and body together (I layered the head slightly over the body).
- Sew hat onto the head (I layered the head slightly over the hat)
- Tie the scarf around his neck in a knot at the side.
- Lastly, tie a yarn loop around the hat so you can hang him on the tree!
I hope you enjoyed this cute little crochet snowman ornament pattern!
If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to email me: [email protected]
To view all of my free patterns, click HERE. To get a special bonus straight to your inbox, sign up for my email list below:
Frustrated By Crochet Garments? Maybe You're Afraid to even start...
Frustrated By Crochet Garments?
Download my FREE Garment Cheat Sheets that will teach you the 5 essential components you need to understand to make great-fitting sweaters!